Monday, September 10, 2012

Chocolate Crackles: Sweet cookies, lovely gift!

 I have more work to do lately, ^^", so I have to stay with my sister a lot. I'm happy with that because my nephew, he is one of my best customer, haha.

 This time I make the chocolate crackle cookies for him. A sweet cookie that's kids will love, ^^, and it starts form the look of it. The moment that he saw the cookies he asked "Why it has a white powder over it?" So I told him that it's confectioner' sugar, that I rolled the cookie dough with it and while baking the cookie spread out, and crate this look.
Because I made it for my nephew, I use only 50% chocolate but it's too sweet for some adults (like my mom) so, if you want it to be more bitter, you can use chocolate with more cocoa mass, 70% will be great too.
The cookie will be very soft when coming out of the oven but it will firmer after cooling, so don't worry ^^.



Chocolate Crackles 
Makes 30 

115g ................................ Dark chocolate (50-70% depend on your taste)
85g .................................. All purpose flour
50g .................................. Cocoa powder
1tsp ................................. Baking powder
.......................................... A pinch of salt
65g .................................. Butter
180g ................................ Brown sugar (you can use only 170g)
1 ....................................... Egg
1/2tsp ............................. Vanilla extract
35ml ............................... Milk
......................................... Granulated sugar (for coating)
......................................... Confectioners' sugar (for coating)   

Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together.
Melt the chocolate by putting the chocolate in bowl and place over the hot water bowl (don't let the bottom of the bowl touch the water), stir until melt.
 Beat the butter with brown sugar and a pinch of salt until light in color.
Beat in the egg, vanilla and melted dark chocolate.
 With mixer at low speed, mix in half of the flour mixture, follow by the milk and the rest of the flour, mix well in each addition.
Cover the bowl plastic warp, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. 
Line 2 baking sheet with baking paper.
Roll the cookie dough into a balls (if it starts to melt refrigerate again).
Coat the cookie with granulated sugar, then the confectioners' sugar, and place the cookies on the prepared sheet pan.
Bake for 14 minutes, and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.



Chocolate Crackles: Sweet cookies, lovely gift!

5 comments:

  1. Wowwww, never made this before but it sure look very tempting. Did you use regular confectioner's sugar or specially for coating sugar (like doughnut sugar). Wouldn't it melting during the baking??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Hesti
    You can use normal icing sugar for this cookie. I made it with snow icing (like doughnut sugar) before and it melt while baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    I tried this one it was a HIT;)
    Now how can I make it as red velvet crackles?
    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pook.
    I want to ask. Yesterday I made chocolate crackles, why coating melts at the time in the oven? What temperature is too hot? please help ...
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may come from the type of the sugar, use superfine (caster sugar) for 1st coat, and the icing sugar (the simple one that have a bit of corn starch) for 2nd coating.
    I had tried snow powder (or donut icing sugar) it melted in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...